That Ugly Word, "Divorce"

Why is Divorce associated with so much negativity?  Why does the Big 'D' equate to so much ugliness?  Why can't two people agree to separate their lives and change addresses with maturity and understanding?  Does it always have to be hard or sad or tragic?

I see couples who stay together and they are miserable.  They hate one another more than they love each other.  They are mean and hateful.  Yet, they choose to continue on their path of self loathing and destruction.  This is sadness laced in difficulty.

Are we truly able to be with only one person our entire lives?  I suppose if we are with the love of our lives, than yes.  But how do we truly know if the love of our lives is truly "The One?"



Why is choosing to be independent while mutually agreeing to raise children have to be perceived so harshly?   Does it hurt?  Yes.  Is it uncomfortable?  Yes.  It is confusing.  Hell Yes!

But, once you move past the emotional changes of living a different life and the transition has settled down, it can be extremely empowering,  It can be the perfect time for growth and understanding.

But, one of the best things I have personally learned about divorce, is sometimes you can see your ex-spouse from a new found perspective.  And all the things you didn't like about them, fall away, and all you are left with is respect and care.  The reality becomes apparent that this person is part of your family forever, because in most cases you have children together.  If you were once a family, you will always be a family.  This does not need to change.

If this person must still be a part of your life, why not make the relationship healthy and embrace the change with a warm heart.  This is what I would call "An Unconventional Divorce."

This is something most people will NOT choose.  I, however, am choosing happiness in all areas of my life.  And this includes happiness with the person who I am no longer married to. 

What happens on this journey is uncharted, as I have never experienced this before, but I certainly will take the opportunity to share and allow this new experience to unfold.  I have no idea if this will resonated well or looked upon as odd.  And I won't lie and say it has started out all good.  But, I am writing this blog, because I can and it may inspire other couples to change their view of what divorce is all about.




In the end, I hope we have a happy ending which will translate divorce as something healthy with healing potential.  Let's redefine the cognition of divorce.  Let's see how this can go.


Comments

Most Shared Post