GYM Characters

Yes! Admit it! We all have the desire to look outstanding after a break up and definitely after a divorce.  Lose weight, work out, look hot, just in case the ex sees you.  But, more importantly for all those new "First Dates."




It is truly a right of first passage.

I happen to have the good luck to have a gym right below my new place.  I walk downstairs each morning at 5am, regardless of how crappy I feel.  No time is better than the present.

The gym is a sanctuary.  My most incredible girlfriend, Lindsay, took me under her wing to lift weights and school me in the best way to get in shape, from workouts to food.  She also introduced me to the characters of our gym.




The Young Entrepreneur:  Charming and smart, yet modest and kind.  He always has a smile and funny thought to share.  He has a big heart and is wise beyond his years.  He is by far a favorite gym regular.  If he disappears for a week or two, he is sure to be missed.  

The Dedicated Gym Junky:  Often caught climbing the stair master for hours at a time.  This cardio fanatic, is so extremely dedicated, you sometimes wonder what more can he do? He already looks perfectly fit.  He is cool as a cucumber, but beware, if you are doing a lift incorrectly, he will spot it and tell you instantly what you are doing wrong. 

The Stelf Trainer:  At times you'll have to crack a joke to get this one to crack a smile, although he is super nice and giving to all his trainees.  Often seen working out with his clients, listening endlessly to their life stories.  

The Treadmill Couple: Always seen walking the treadmill side by side with their head sets. The female may talk and the man will never hear her.  Where one is, the other is sure to follow.  

The White Haired Babes:  All smiling at the crack of dawn going about their business with sunny dispositions.  These ladies will wave and say "Hello" as if it were midday.  They are a staple at the gym.  Creating a backdrop for Lindsay and I and all the characters above.

Than there are those who we mock:

The dude who leaves a trail of Axe spray trailing behind him, from the bathroom, as we all hold our noses is dismay.  

The girl who stands in front of the cubies, texting as if she is the only one in the gym. "Aaaaa, excuse me Miss Thaaang....move it!!"  

The cross "fit" girl who leaves her post it notes on all the mirrors with her workout listed.  We still have no idea why.  Post it anyone? 

The characters at the gym are the best in all their wonder.  

There are four of us, in particular, that when we get together, we could all be in a stand up routine.  At times, we do more laughing than lifting. Lindsay in a hot workout pants, that make her ass look amazo.  The young Entrepreneur and the dedicated gym junky.  And than there is me, green, as green can be. 




We all mesh well and became our own mini workout gym Klan.  Us against all the other gym characters.  It really is quite a site to see.




All was going well until week 2 or 3 when a 25lb weight slipped right through my fingers and onto my big fat right toe.  

WOW! That SHIT Hurt!!  

I literally wanted to pass out twice, but I kept going and completed my workout....with a broke toe!



I pushed through my day, walked around with a bandage on my toe, bleeding for days.  Totally gross, I know. Nothing like an ooozing toe to scream sexy.  (NOT!) 

The best thing I did, was eventually, head over to urgent care, the same day my clumsy ass massacred my toe.  I was given some good drugs and antibiotics to prevent infection.

Thank gawd for pain killers.  I think it pushed me through some of my more anxious days during the divorce. God has a way of providing at the most inopportune times. 

Here I am.  My big ol' Toe sore and swollen. But, I'm alive and they did not need to amputate.  LIFE is really, oh so good.

(Since I wrote this, my toe nail fell off.  It is not a pretty sight.  You will often see me sporting an adorable band-aid - and it is not because it hurts, it is only because I'm being vain)

Update Months Later:

These days, months later, my toe nail has partially grown back in, and I don't wear a band aid anymore.  I have grown to love the imperfection of my big toe.  It is uniquely part of me.



I still go to the gym most days at 5 or 5:30am.  My travels have interrupted my morning flow, but my routine is getting back on track.

I still work out with my girlfriend sporadically, when our schedules mess.  She has taught me so much.  And my body has changed dramatically.  My best weeks are when I am sore in all parts of my body.  We do arms, legs, gluts, back shoulders, abs and now chest, each on different days.  My favorite day is shoulders, my least favorite is gluts, need to get on that butt work out more often.





Looking good and feeling good is all part of the transformation post divorce.   Find your work-out that suits you and keep a consistent schedule.  I guarantee, it will push you through the most difficult times and the results will be priceless.



Comments

Most Shared Post