Feeling Safe - A change of Mind

Feeling Safe is loose term.

We all want the safety of a roof over our heads, food to eat, clothing and the security of a job.

However, how many of us actually feel emotionally safe?  With our partner, our children, or our choice of friendships?



How safe do we feel with ourselves each and every morning when we open our eyes and face our new day?

Many of us have difficulty trusting ourselves and therefore do not trust anyone who enters our energy field.  

Think about this.



Think about how often you distrust a person, they make you feel uneasy or you make a conscious decision to trust no one until they have proven themselves to you?   

Is this more about you and your past experiences or is it about the other person?



Once you find that safe space within, trust comes naturally.

I believe the moments when I felt the most unsafe in my life, was when I felt the most out of control in life.

I believe births and deaths do this.



For example, the birth of my first son, threw me so off kilter, I truly understood how women can spiral down into postpartum depression.

The thought of having to care for another human being was daunting.  At 33, as a new mother, I was freaked out, I was still learning how to care for myself. How was I going to be responsible for another human being? 

 I figured it out and found my way.  Although, I can still recall those feelings of dread and despair. 



The death of a loved one instills similar feelings of being out of control.  There is nothing that can be done, outside of processing the grief and knowing you can still love the person from within.  That love never goes away.  

Nothing can change fear wrapped around birth and death. 



We can however overcome life fears and anxiety.

I battled anxiety for years associated with my New York upbringing.  It's real and apparent.  The pit in the stomach, the spinning of thoughts in our heads, the constant unsettledness, and feelings of being out of control.  

It's an unpredictable emotional rollercoaster.  




Add sadness to anxiety and you have a perfect storm for a myriad of other emotional turmoil.

We CAN change our minds:

On LIFE.
On HOW we cope.
On how we CHOOSE to navigate. 

We ways have a choice, when we choose to care for ourselves, we instinctively care for those around us. 


Comments

Most Shared Post