Being Empathetic

I started to learn I was an empath over the last couple of years.


em·path
/ˈempaTH/
noun
  1. a person with the paranormal ability to apprehend the mental or emotional state of another individual.

It's a gift, but one that does come with some understanding.  Deep empathy can be quite debilitating if not mastered.  

I draw in many different types of people organically.  Many are wonderful, caring, warm friends who appreciate, understand and love me.

But there are those who do take advantage of my natural instincts to give and be open and relate on deeper levels.

Being an Empath was the root of my anxiety for much of my childhood, as a young adult, and even through some of my 30s.  I have only recently learned to hone in and understand my natural abilities to feel and understand those around me.

Before I understood my chemical make up, I never knew why I'd get overwhelmed in certain social situations or in large crowds. I had a panick attack on a crowded Long Island train once commuting into New York City.  

I overcame much of this as I grew older and found coping skills that I still use to this day.  My anxiety is under control and I'm much more socially adaptable. I never let any situation stop me from being present.


Ironically, when I'm emotionally connected with someone, I feel their thoughts and emotions regularly even when we're not together.  It's something I use to think happened to everyone.  Apparently, that's not always the case.  

 I have an uncanny way of knowing things before they happen, I can sense if someone is not being forthcoming and I often get conflicted with my own emotions versus someone else's.  


It's a heighten state of intuition only another empath can truly understand.  It relates to energy, thoughts and how we feel at any given moment.  

Emphaths are targets for narcissists and any sort of manipulative behavior if we're not aware of the situation.  We can get sucked into situations, but we are usually, always able to navigate based on our intuition. Often with a tremendous amount of growth in the process.

Sometimes I feel I am faced with life challenges only to master my god given gifts.  

Emphaths are much more affected by lieing and deceit, mainly because it's these behaviors that feel foreign for us and we can't imagine why anyone would choose to be dishonest.  It's difficult to comprehend.


One thing about being highly sensitive to the world around, is I believe we gravitate to those most like us.  It's an uncanny ability to be pull in some of the best friendships based on true understanding for what the other is going though.

If you think or have ever thought you were Empathetic, learn how to master your skills and push through to the other side of knowing.  




Comments

Most Shared Post