Why Play It Safe...

Camping in the cold is uncomfortable. 

I went camping this weekend with cub scouts. Being uncomfortable becomes part of the entire experience.  You are cold, dirty, challenged and displaced.  Yet I love it! 


I have come to love finding my comfort being uncomfortable.  

What is it about coping with uncomfortable situations, like camping, or difficult people, or unusual situations that allows us to appreciate our safe space?

Ever do something so out of character, you stop and think, "Who am I?"

Or have you found yourself in a situation so ridiculous you think, "How did I get here?"

All you desire is a comfortable place to rest and reflect.  



*That comfortable space could be moments alone * A favorite place to sit and think * A safe haven * Time with a special friend * A bike ride, run or work out * Someplace where no one and nothing will touch your private time.

This is why some people like to stay home.  It's their safest place on earth.

We  choose situations that keep us comfortable. However, it is important to be pushed out of our comfort zone. Especially when we are naturally drawn to them.

Playing it safe should not always be our objective in life.

How will we grow if we never find out how to adapt to situations and people that are different from what we've always known?

I thrive on change and unpredictability.  I will jump blindly into things and figure it out as I go.  I will forget the whys and focus on the journey, discovering aspects of who I am in the process.  I'll pull from what I know and reinvent myself based on the new situation.

I can be uncomfortable and not let my own insecurities make me feel less of myself.


If we are able to adapt, it allows us to naturally weather the uncomfortable and seek understanding at a later point in time.

I believe we are all able to conquer our weaknesses.  The people and places that challenge us are deliberately placed in our paths.  They give us the strength we didn't know we held within ourselves.

Enjoy your safe space, but enjoy it more after being in a place that may have otherwise brought us weakness. 




Comments

Most Shared Post