Eat, Pray, Love: Hawaii. The Art of Traveling Alone in Honeymoon Haven


This trip has been good for my soul and personal growth.  I discovered I am totally comfortable dating myself and doing things alone.  Taking selfies takes on a whole new meaning.  

Random stop - side of a road

One thing I did take for granted when I booked this trip is Hawaii is a Honeymoon Haven. Which is all well and good, but let's not forget I am on a "just got divorced trip." Talk about the irony!!

There was one single girl on my ziplining tour.   (See: Scared Shitless)  All the rest were newlyweds and one couple was getting married next weekend.  All were young, idealstic and appeared happy.  I certainly did not bring up my current writing passions on divorce/single life, but I did actually wonder it they were all prepared for the ups and downs of married life.  

I did enjoy all their company and learned quickly it was really okay to be solo.  No one else seems to mind and it really didn't bother me one bit.  I did find time to take a selfie with the other single girl on the tour.  We had a blast together, all of us! And we all supported each other as the zipline runs got higher and longer. 



Single Gal Selfie

It didn't truly hit home, how coupley Hawaii was, until I took a coffee plantation tour day two in Hawaii.  I was the only single person there as well.  I had arrived early and was the only one hanging out, sampling coffee, tea and chocolate covered coffee beans.  Yum!  

Before I knew it, I was surrounded by all sorts of interesting people, all couples of course. Overall, it was a really fun group, young, old and a same sex female couple.  I believe half were honeymooners, but I didn't ask. 

I was able to get this group laughing with a few witty comments during our fascinating, inquisitive tour. This empowered my single gal self esteem. I love making people laugh.   

I also learned a load about coffee and the process from picking to roasting.  Lightly roasted beans have more caffeine.  Did you know that? 


Mountain Thunder Coffee Plantation, Kona, HI

The entire process is a lot more complex than I had anticiapated and at this particular plantation they hand pick all the beans. 

There are several steps before roasting, and the coffee bean is actually slimy after it gets soaked. Larger beans called Peaberries have more caffeine and are premium beans.  

Most important, simply because it says Kona coffee, doesn't mean it is 100% from Kona. Check your packaging: 100% Kona beans are the highest quality bean.  The lower quality rejects get shipped to outside packaging companies and mixed with beans from other parts of the world.  Who knew? 

Spent a Mint on the Peaberry Beans

I took a lovely drive after my tour, stopped half a dozen times to take photos.  Including the country club below.  Weather was overcast, but views were still spatactular.

Best Views in all directions.Being solo allows me to stop anytime, anywhere.  

My new friends, Gretchen and Jack, from the airplane, (See: Getting There) met me in Kona, at Jade, a Chinese resturant which my coffee tour guide recommended.  (Best Chinese food I have ever had by the way)

Our wonderful waitress knew my coffee guide and also worked as a maid in our hotel complex.  Gretchen took manager names from her to purchase one of our amazing comforters in our rooms.  She was tickled! This is all that Serendipity I talked about in my first piece. (See: A Divorce Gift)  

My dinner dates: Gretchen & Jack

My new friends and I have spent each evening together, eating and drinking and laughing. We even share our food!  We simply clicked and sometimes that's all you need in life. 

Moral of this story: A single gal isn't ever totally single.  She always has friends to liven up and enhance her life!!  She is only missing one thing. But, sometimes, that one thing, is worth the wait.  






Comments

Most Shared Post